During the past couple of months several people have asked me for the contact details for Prof. Dr. Kenny De Meirleir and his Himmunitas Foundation as they do not have a website yet. The information may be incomplete because I had to rely on my own limited experience and information found on forums.
The Himmunitas Foundation is a privately run clinic for the biomedical treatment of ME/CFS and is set up as a non-profit organization. The Himmunitas Foundation is housed in a nondescript building in Neder-Over-Heembeek near Brussels (Belgium), which it shares with 2 other companies.
Who’s Who at Himmunitas
- Prof. Dr. Kenny De Meirleir, MD, PhD: World-renowned ME/CFS clinical/research leader at the Free University of Brussels in Belgium, co-editor of the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, co-developer of the Canadian Consensus Document for ME/CFS, and author of more than 600 articles. An article by Cort Johnson can be found on ME/CVS.net: Dr. Kenny De Meirleir – Man on the Move for ME/CFS (Dutch website, scroll down for the original English article)
- Christine Tobback, dietitian specialised in food intolerances and pseudo-allergies. Website: Optinutrics
- Dr. Kris Vollon, orthomolecular doctor.
The tests are done at the clinic after which the samples are send to labs in Belgium, Germany, USA, … The number and the type of tests will be determined during your first consult with Prof. Dr. De Meirleir. I had to go to the clinic four times over a period of a month to get all the tests done, but for foreign patients they do all the tests in two consecutive days.
There is a hotel nearby that they recommend, the EuroVolleyCenter. I have stayed there myself on two occasions when I had to be at the clinic at 8 am — Brussels has the worse traffic jams in Belgium — and it is conveniently close to the clinic. They even provide transport to the clinic.
Contact Details for Himmunitas
De Tyraslaan 111
1120 Neder-Over-Heembeek (Brussel)
|Telephone:||+32 (0)2 266 87 40|
|Email:||info at ehmb dot be|
View Himmunitas in a larger map
A lot of people found and are still finding the information I provide here, the contact information for the Himmunitas clinic of prof. dr. De Meirleir, useful. I had to look it up myself to make an appointment and go there, so I might as well share it. However, this is not a recommendation to go to the Himmunitas clinic. I have been a patient of De Meirleir for 7 months (of treatment, if you start counting from the first visit then it is 1 year). I got worse, a lot worse. It was only after quitting that I became a bit better again. So, I cannot recommend the treatment. My 2 cents are to think it through because it is very expensive and to consider the following 2 observations (to the best of my knowledge):
- He will order a lot of tests and not all of them will be medically significant; meaning other doctors, even those unprejudiced towards ME/CFS, will not consider them useful or of any value.
- There is no biomedical (evidence-based or science-based) treatment for ME/CFS. Yes, he is a medical doctor and a professor, but the treatment is to be considered alternative (unproven at best) or even experimental.
|As it takes two to make a quarrel,
so it takes two to make a disease,
the microbe and its host.
|Charles V. Chapin|